Remembering 9/11/2001 still gives me the chills. It's a time when everyone knows exactly what they were doing when they first saw the news of the twin towers. I had just started my junior year at Concordia. I had gone for a run, got back to the apartment and turned on the Today Show to stretch and drink coffee. Right as I turned it on, Katie Couric was telling the nation what was happening and I saw the second plane crash. At first I thought it was a replay. Then I was confused, then a little nervous. Such a strange feeling.. I remember walking over to campus because I wasn't really sure what to do. Everyone on campus just seemed to be standing around Knutson center just looking at TVs. I remember how quiet it all was. We went to dinner that night for Laura's 19th birthday, she was a freshman that year. Our table of girls was the only table occupied at the restaurant, and we, along with most of the restaurant employees, mainly just watched TV while we were there.
10 years later... I feel lucky that I was able to visit Ground Zero for myself just a few weeks ago, to see the memorials and to say silent thank yous to all of the everyday heros. We have such an interesting nation that we live in, and today I loved seeing people come together and the amazing amount of support and love for this country. I am stealing this from a friend's facebook post today:
An old Cherokee told his grandson, "My son, there is a battle between two wolves inside us all. One is Evil. It is anger, jealousy, greed, resentment , inferiority, lies & ego. The other is Good. It is joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness, empathy, & truth." The boy thought about it, and asked, "Grandfather, which wolf wins?"
The old man quietly replied, "The one you feed."
No comments:
Post a Comment