Thursday, October 21, 2010

When I need a compliment (or 20)

I sit at nursing station 2. You see, Gene, a resident who has less than 30 seconds short term memory (in my non-professional judgement) walks the hall and tells everyone he sees he really likes their hair. And seems surprised to see you each time he rounds the corner.. "Oh, wow! Look at you! You have really pretty hair"...."Oh, hi there! Look at your really pretty hair today!!"
Makes you smile :)

Today I had a patient who has "word salad" because of her recent stroke. It really makes me practice my patience, and my conversation with her today went something like this: me: "I really need you to eat a little more at meals so we don't need to increase your tube feeding. Think you can eat a little more for me?" her: "I eat purple. I mean, I will eat a microwave. I need a blanket, I mean different room." Yes, patience is a virtue that I need more of.

Off to celebrate LeeAnn's birthday with dinner at Euclid Hall. One of their specialties is poutine, a Canadian dish, which is basically french fries, cheese curds and sauce. Um, yes, please.

No comments:

Post a Comment