Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Pursuit of Happiness

I don't make New Year's resolutions. I'm not sure why, but I never have and probably never will. I guess if I feel like I need to make a change in my life, I will (attempt) to commit to that change then and there. However, hearing about other people's resolutions does make me think about things I want to achieve, obviously. It really is a great time for reflection and goal making. So I've been thinking..

About happiness. What makes me happy? What makes other people happy?

Today, as I wished a cook I work with a happy birthday, I was humbled by her story. I asked how her birthday was, and the response was long. Very long. Turns out her grandson had ransacked her house that night looking for drugs and money, took every medication prescription she had and all of her money, and he is now in a 72 hour psych hold at the hospital. She's just glad her grandson didn't go into her husband's space, because he would have likely hurt him. Seriously. I guess he is part of the Hells Angels in Broomfield (who knew?). Her grandson is staying with them because his mother is in jail dying of AIDS. The story goes on. And yet, lunch service came and there she was.. the cook with the smile and kind heart serving nursing home residents.

Makes you think. All afternoon, I thought about this. First, how lucky I've been in life. (Thanks mom, for not being in jail) Second, why are some people happy and others seem so miserable when bad stuff happens to everyone?

Who doesn't want to partake in the pursuit of happiness? I mean, this is the American Dream after all. Or.. is it? Doesn't it seem that the so-called American Dream is now the Dream of Wealth, Fame, Beauty and Success? Are we forgetting to look at the small things along the way? Do we expect perfect happiness and we aren't happy until we feel that is achieved? What are we missing out on along the way?

I have decided to stop focusing on the big items I think will make me happy. Instead, I plan to concentrate on and enjoy the very small steps along the way. I wonder if this new job will make me successful/wealthy/satisfied/etc but know I need to take a step back and think about the small things I will enjoy about the job and the people along the way. Ideally, I need to realize, in the moment or shortly after, that those small moments are what makes the journey to "happiness" worth the while :)

So, with some professional help (aka my Real Simple magazine), here are some ideas on finding your happiness..
  • Remembering and thinking positively about past events that have shaped your life. Think old pictures and laughing about a funny thing that has happened.
  • Don't dwell. It's not healthy to keep going over in your mind past failures.
  • Donate. Spend your money on someone else. Surprise gifts. Pay for the next guy's coffee.
  • Eat a snack in the early afternoon to keep your brain functioning happily. A healthy snack, of course. Cheese and crackers. Fruit. Whole grain bagel and peanut butter. Chocolate.
  • Exercise.
  • Limit your options. This is a big one for me. Instead of considering every available option, narrow down your choices, then pick one and move on.
  • Find a hobby. Something that engages 100% of your attention and you enjoy.
  • Make your bed. Keep up with those everyday tasks.
There you have it! Happiness according to Karen :)





1 comment:

  1. Thank you for such and insightful and thought provoking post! Foucsing on the simpler things in life - something we all need to be better at.

    ReplyDelete