I put out my fall decorations tonight, even though it's in the 80s-90s still! And by all of my fall decorations, I really just mean 2 pumpkins and 2 candles. I try.
Having dinner tomorrow night at Il Posto - yum! And then this weekend, Ted has some friends coming into town so I'm looking forward to a day with the girls on Saturday - shopping, spa, lunch, etc - and then we'll meet the guys to watch college football games later.
This is from my dietitian magazine I was reading over lunch (I do realize how nerdy I am sometimes).
How well do you know food labels and health claims on packaging? (My summary!)
What is expeller-pressed oil and is it better for you?
Basically, these oils are equivalent (calorie-wise) to conventional oils, but expeller-pressed oils are less "processed" because they are extracted by a crushing mechanism. Vegetable oils are generally chemically processed, which sounds bad, but it's not.
What is stoneground wheat? (Usually found in breads/crackers)
This just means the flour is made in a stone mill. There is no legal definition by the FDA.. so anyone can advertise they have 100% stoneground wheat, hike the price, and put regular flour in their product.
What exactly does high in antioxidants mean?
Not much. Sure, antioxidants are excellent for you (mainly found in whole fruits/veggies/nuts/seeds) but this claim could just mean the presence of vitamin A, C, and E, which are added during processing.
These vitamins are antioxidants, but don't get your hopes up. It's far better to eat real foods that contain antioxidants than processed foods that added extra vitamin C during processing.
Alright, off to read - The Plain Truth, by Jodi Picoult. (Thanks Laura)
No comments:
Post a Comment